Saturday, September 17, 2011

Luke 17:10

“So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.' ”

We have a duty. We have a debt to pay. We have a Lord that loves us. When I read this section these are the statements I take from it. But unprofitable takes on a whole new motive behind it. Humbleness has never been something I’m good at. In fact, I can't remember a time I was worthy enough to call myself humble. I have lived my Christian life as a profitable servant. I come home from the fields asking wheres the food and my own personal servants. I'm the servant that let's all the other servants know how well I plowed in the field that day. My pride has given me the falling trait of Lucifer, letting myself think God owes me, ultimately making me equal to God. I believe humbleness is the answer to all this. If you could let your eyes be opened wide enough, that you could see all that goes around you, you would laugh in sorrow how truly blind you were. We would realize just how powerful God is, and how weak we are. A man by the name of John Newton spent countless years aboard a slave-ship as captain. Controlling, powerful, and having the fate of 1000's in the palm of his hand. He watched those 1000's be beaten, raped, and killed for joy or simply lack of medical care. Pride at it's peak, with his flesh sitting as king. After years of refuge and repentance, he dedicated himself to the Lord and chose to become a minister. In his later years, he had lost his vision entirely, spending his final days in darkness to the world around him. He wrote these words “Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like, I once was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.” I believe that John Newton's vision completely flipped when he looked through the lens of love, opening his mind to wisdom, and humbling his heart to servant-hood. To be humbled, is to be loved.

My application today is broad, be humbled and open my eyes to the love God pours out on us consistently.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the movie Amazing Grace? You should watch it if you haven't. Amazing Grace is my favorite Hymn. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have gifted you with fragility, providing opportunities for your spirit to blossom in My presence... Rather than struggling to disguise or deny your weakness, allow me to bless you richly through it." -Jesus Calling

    ReplyDelete