Saturday, September 17, 2011

Luke 17:7

“And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'?

I think as Christian Americans we mix our culture with the way we view our relationship with Christ. What I mean by this is instant gratification and stocked rewards. Sometimes by tithing, praying, or fasting enough we let our minds make it about us instead of Him. In a sense, we believe that our good deeds will protect us from the struggles of this world. And if we don't have struggles, then we will noticeably be blessed in some way or another. Practically investing in Christ to be blessed for the riches of this world. We are glorifying ourselves, by giving our physical and mental strength we expect to be praised for all that good that we have done. In this verse I take from it that Jesus is rebuking those with this mindset. That as Christians we are expected to do our daily share of the work that should be done in His name. All to often we want that spiritual pat on the shoulder to get that reassurance when in all reality we have the bible to remind us daily. I find myself trying to keep score with God, trying “to bless Him” so I can “be blessed”. God is all loving and does not need to be blessed in anyway, we are His creation, He is not our whispering Jiminy Crickett.
I plan to do an act for the Lord in which I am sacrificing something and I will do my best to give entirely and completely and expect nothing in return for it. Also remember that all my treasures will be stored in Heaven and not in the prideful pleasures of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment